Tuesday 1 May 2012

World Asthma Day 2012

Today (May 1st) is World Asthma Day and this years theme is "You can control your Asthma". Whilst I don't suffer from this condition myself, it is a condition that I have been surrounded by my whole life, as my father suffers from Asthma. In his case the condition is chronic and he has lived with this condition for his entire 54 years.

However I am very proud to say it has never stopped him doing anything in life and he is a true example of the fact that "you can control your Asthma"!

When I was 12 we took a trip around Australia and we climbed Ayres Rock together. It was a challenge for him but we did it. We also walked the entire way around the base, on the same day! He has also always played sports, gone deep sea diving, he enjoys fishing and gets up at the crack of dawn every morning to spend an hour walking. Asthma is merely an after thought in his every day life.

There have been a few times in my life when he has been hospitalized with a serious attack, but those times are becoming few and far between and to be honest I can't even remember a time in the past ten years where that has happened.

My dad is certainly proof that controlling your Asthma can have an extremely positive effect on your life!


No comments:

Post a Comment